Selecting the right products for your skin can sometimes be confusing. You have used the same moisturizer forever, but now everyone seems to be using a serum. Do you need one (?) and What is the difference? Serums and Moisturizers differ in a few ways:
- A serum is a more concentrated product, with higher levels of key active ingredients
- Serums have a smaller molecular structure so they can penetrate further into the skin
- Serums tend to be thinner and easily absorbed into the skin.
- Serums usually do not contain SPF
- Serums do not replace your moisturizer.
- Serums are applied before your moisturizer , right after cleansing and toning.
- A Moisturizer tends to sit on the top of the skin and act as a hydrator.
- Moisturizers have a larger molecular structure and do not penetrate a deep into the skin
- Moisturizers can vary on their consistency depending on the formulation for your skin type
- Moisturizers do have active ingredients but they are not as concentrated
- Moisturizers may or may not contain an SPF
We like to think of a serum as the workhorse for your skin. The advances in skincare formulations and products have elevated over the years and how we can effectively treat signs of aging, pigmentation and improve the overall quality of the skin. Serums can target specific skin concerns, such as our NeoCutis Perle Serum for hyperpigmentation or our Environ C-Quence Serums that are high concentrations of vitamins A, C and E to improve skin tone, texture and clarity.
Most women need both serum and moisturizer to effectively treat their skin. Selecting the right moisturizer can make skin feel hydrated, toned and work synergistically with the serum for optimal results. Serums should be used twice a day,as well as, your moisturizer followed by the proper sun protection. Layer your products from thinnest to thickest. Serums should be applied before moisturiser, ie: serum, moisturizer then sunscreen. Investing in your skin is the best gift you can give yourself. You will be wearing it for your lifetime. Take the time to learn how specialized skincare products can keep your skin radiant and glowing.
Schedule a consultation at Begin with Skin MedSpa to learn more.