What is Microneedling?
Microneedling is the process of creating controlled micro-injuries to the upper layers of the skin. As a result of the body's natural wound healing process the skin responds by making new plump collagen rich tissue. Microneedling is a minimally invasive procedure that can help with issues such as acne scarring, wrinkles, and stretch marks. At Begin with Skin Medspa we use the SkinPen which is the first and only FDA approved microneedling device.
How long does it take?
The average microneedling treatment takes about 30 minutes with little down time.
Does it hurt?
A numbing cream is applied to the skin for 5 minutes to make the treatment relaxing and comfortable.
What conditions does Microneedling treat?
Microneedling can rejuvenate aging skin and helps improve the appearance of acne scars and stretch marks. Improvement can also be seen with excess pigmentation.
- Enhances texture of skin;
- Stimulates collagen production;
- Can help reduce scars and hyperpigmentation;
- Can reduce the appearance of fine lines wrinkles;
- Microneedling is safe for all skin colors and skin types.
How to I prepare for my microneedling treatment?
- Avoid exposing the treatment area to sun for 2-3 weeks prior to your appointment.
- Avoid waxing 2-3 days before your appointment.
- If you have a history of cold sores (herpes simplex virus), please pre treat with an antiviral medication to avoid a possible outbreak.
- We may recommend a tyrosinase inhibitor for maximum control of melanin synthesis.
What can I expect after the treatment?
To ensure the proper healing environment, be certain to observe the following:
- Initially your skin will be pink and will look like a mild to moderate sunburn. It will then subside within 24-36 hours. Skin may temporarily feel itchy and be slightly uncomfortable. Cool compresses can be applied to the treatment area.
- Protect your skin from the sun and wear a daily SPF of 30 or higher to avoid any possible pigmentation issues.
- Avoid harsh exfoliants and AHA’s or Retinols for at least 7 days post treatment.
- Makeup can be applied 24 hours after treatment.
- No tanning beds.
- No swimming for at least 24 hours post-treatment.
- No exercising or strenuous activity for the first 24 hours post-treatment. Sweating and gym environments are harmful, rife with bacteria, and may cause adverse reactions.
- Post Care instructions and products will be provided.
When will I see a difference in my skin?
Collagen takes on average 30-90 days to start to regenerate. Your skin will look refreshed and brighter 3-7 days post appointment with continuous improvement seen over several months. A series of 3 microneedling treatments spaced four weeks apart is recommended for optimal results.
Contraindications to microneedling with SkinPen?
We will review your health history with you to ensure that you are a candidate for microneedling. Here is a list of contraindications:
- Autoimmune conditions- Scleroderma;
- History of skin cancer, eczema, psoriasis and other chronic conditions;
- Pregnancy or lactating;
- Use of Accutane in the last 6 months;
- Active bacterial or fungal infections;
- History of keloid or hypertrophic (raised) scarring.